We are now accepting applications for the 2017 Program
Women's College Hospital offers volunteer positions to eligible high-school and undergraduate post-secondary students during the summer months. Volunteer positions are available Monday through Friday during daytime hours (9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.) in many departments and programs. All volunteer roles are designed to enhance the patient experience.
The Summer Youth Volunteer Program offers a unique learning experience and is designed to introduce students to the healthcare field. Explore a hospital setting and career options though:
- Multiple volunteer placements that align with your interests and skills
- Volunteer Lunch and Learn sessions with physicians, regulated healthcare professionals and hospital staff
- Hospital wide education events
Details for the 2017 Summer Youth Volunteer Program
Post-secondary Student requirements:
- Commit to a minimum of two 3.5 hour shifts per week for all of May, June, July and August. Shifts are typically 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. or 12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Successful applicants must be ready to start a volunteer placement by May 1st 2017
High-school Student requirements:
- Commit up to two full days (9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.) per week for all of July and August
- Have completed grade 9
- Successful applicants must be ready to start a volunteer placement by July 4th 2017
Application and Registration Process
Attend a program information session
All interested applicants are asked to attend a Summer Youth Volunteer Program Information Session. Registration is not required. For out of town post-secondary students who are unable to attend, contact email@example.com
- Thursday March 2nd 2017 | 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. | Pink Cube, 2nd Floor
- Wednesday March 8th 2017 | 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. | Auditorium, 2nd Floor, Room 2501
Complete an application package
A complete application package includes an application for and two reference forms. References must know the applicant in a professional capacity and cannot be family members or friends. Examples include employers, volunteer coordinators, supervisors, coaches, or teachers. Referees should return the reference forms to the applicant for submission.
Attend an interview
Selected applicants will be contacted for an interview to discuss your interests, skills and experience. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you are offered a placement, you will then be required to:
- submit a completed medical form, including at two-step tuberculosis skin test (medical form is distributed at the information session)
- complete a Criminal Records Check if 18 years of age or older. This is at no expense to the volunteer and is conducted through the hospital. Information and further details are provided to volunteers after notice of acceptance to the program. Offers are conditional upon the successful completion of a Canadian Criminal Records Check.
- attend a program orientation session
- pay a refundable $10.00 deposit for a security badge
Ready to Apply?
- Application Deadline for Post-secondary Students: Friday March 24th 2017.
- Application Deadline for High-school Students: Friday April 7th 2017.
Jump to top page
Applications can be mailed, faxed to (416) 323-7741, scanned and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted in person to room 7409 of the hospital. Completed reference forms must be submitted with your application.
Note about fillable forms: To view and use fillable forms, you will need the latest version of Adobe Reader installed. Once completed, you can save and email the form or print the form for submission. The Adobe Reader software can be obtained free from Adobe, which also offers customer support.
Women’s College Hospital
76 Grenville Street
Volunteer Coordinator Office Hours
Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.