By Nimrah Kiyani
Find the Q-Tip below! There is a Q-Tip hidden in this article. Find it by reading the article and clicking on the link. Once you find it, the Q-Tip will automatically download so you can save it to your collection. Everyone who collects all of the Q-Tips will have the chance to win great prizes.
*You must be logged into VPN to click the hyperlinks.
Women’s College Hospital (WCH)’s has a robust system in place for ensuring the safety and security of patients, staff, learners, volunteers, and visitors. Ensuring a safe and secure environment is also a requirement of Accreditation Canada.
Healthcare security professionals serve as the first line of defense to protect the hospital infrastructure as well as those working in it. Their duties include protection of people, protection of infrastructure (property, assets, and information), monitoring and providing access control, alarm and Emergency Color Code response, employee and visitor escorts to the hospital parking garage, security audits, as well as ID badge issuance. As healthcare security professionals, they are always on the lookout for any safety and security issues 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The Security Services Office is located in the main lobby and can be accessed through extension 6090 (416-323-6090 from an outside phone line) as well. If a guard is not present in the Security Office to speak with you in person or answer your phone call, please contact the Black and McDonald FM Call Center at extension 3900 (416-323-6400 x 3900). A Call Center Operator will dispatch a Security Guard to meet with you. Click here for QTip.
In collaboration with the security team, there are many ways through which staff can ensure the safety and security of the organization:
- Wear your hospital ID badge at all times. Report any lost or stolen identification to Security immediately
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep your belongings secure, especially when unattended. Lock away Sensitive or confidential papers and files should be locked away when not in use
- Don’t let unauthorized individuals “tailgate” behind you through secured doors
- If you notice suspicious behaviour, contact Security at ext. 6090 so they can investigate
- If someone exhibits violent or potential violent behaviour, don’t hesitate to activate a Code White by dialing ext. 5555 or by pressing a Code White alarm
- Complete an IRIS report for security incidents
Parking Lot Security:
- Don’t leave belongings visible in your parked car and keep your vehicle locked
- Maintain familiarity with exit locations and panic alarm stations
- Always check the interior of your vehicle before entering it.
- Utilize the buddy system with a co-worker (walking in pairs) or the Security Safe Walk program for a Guard escort.
You can learn more at the Safety & Security Services intranet page.
To learn more about Accreditation, visit the Accreditation Intranet Hub.