Dermatology Menu

Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC)

Service updates for appointments at WCH

For those patients whose light treatment was suspended due to Covid-19, please call PERC to book an appointment with the physician.

PERC is only open Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings for CTCL patients.
  • If you have an upcoming in person appointment at Women’s College Hospital and you have a fever, cough, or new onset of shortness of breath, have travelled outside Canada in the last 14 days, tested positive for COVID-19, or been instructed to self-isolate by Public Health please do not come to the hospital, call the clinic directly for more information.
  • The hospital is open only to patients with appointments, please see our visitor restrictions information.
  • Your appointment may be changed to a virtual visit using the telephone or over video. Learn how to set-up a video visit.
  • You will receive a call from us with any changes to your appointment.

About PERC
The Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC) is a treatment centre for diseases of the skin that improve with light and systemic therapies. Our team consists of nurses, dermatologists and an administrative co-ordinator. Our team fosters a friendly and caring environment.

Psoriasis comprises 85 per cent of all of PERC’s cases; the remaining 15 per cent of patients are treated for Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma (CTCL). Other photo-response diseases are also treated on a smaller scale.

Patient education is a major focus. We are the only centre of its kind in Ontario offering both treatment and education. About 33,000 patients visit per year and benefit from our clinic's expertise.

Services Provided
We offer specialized patient education about photoresponsive diseases and helping patients manage such conditions. These include:

Developed in 1976, our program was the first in Canada to provide comprehensive psoriasis care in an ambulatory setting. We offer an extensive range of treatments including broadband UVB, narrowband UVB and PUVA therapies. In addition, we prescribe oral and injectable therapies, including the most recent biologics. For patients with moderate to severe psoriasis requiring systemic treatment.  If necessary, patients receive a timely assessment by the Psoriatic Arthritis Service, led by a group of rheumatologists at Women’s College Hospital.

Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma (CTCL)
We are the only regional centre for CTCL in Canada, following patients through treatment and remission. The centre co-ordinates referral to other CTCL specialists within our inter-hospital team (including nurses, dermatologists, medical oncologists and radiation oncologists). Together with the Cutaneous Lymphoma Foundation, we host national CTCL patient forums.

Other Photo-Responsive Diseases
We treat a variety of other photo-responsive diseases such as atopic dermatitis, pityriasis lichenoides chronicus, lichen planus, granuloma annulare, morphea and pruritus

Referral Information
Patients must be referred to the clinic by a dermatologist or oncologist. If you require a dermatologist, have your family physician make a referral to the Dermatology Centre.

Other Information

As the research arm of the dermatology program, we conduct and foster academic and industry-sponsored research, including:

  • Genetics of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis
  • Sezary syndrome and the effectiveness of photophoresis
  • Psoriasis and the effectiveness of Alefacept
  • Alternative treatments for psoriasis

Affiliated with the University of Toronto, we provide academic teaching for students including medical students, residents, fellows, nursing and pharmacists. As the provincial leader in psoriasis, phototherapy and CTCL, we are committed to the training of pharmaceutical representatives, physicians, nurses, physiotherapists and pharmacists.

We customize one-to-one patient education. Educational materials include:

  • scalp care
  • body folds and facial areas
  • nail care
  • hand and foot care
  • how to relieve itch without topical steroids
  • topical steroids
  • Dovonex
  • Dovobet
  • Liquor Carbonis Detergens (LCD)

Fully affiliated with

A member of

Council of Academic Hospitals of Ontario (CAHO)