Women’s College Hospital (WCH) is an internationally recognized academic health sciences centre, fully affiliated with the University of Toronto. It offers unparalleled mentorship, teaching, leadership and learning in an ambulatory environment with a focus on generating sustainable health system solutions.
WCH’s team of professionals and learners are revolutionizing patient care and the patient experience by transforming inpatient to outpatient care models and enabling the most effective integration of virtual care.
WCH’s Learning Institute supports humanistic education and care, engaging patients and communities in working to improve processes and practices. The team strives to create life-long learners, while also aiding the path of our future healthcare professionals.
To learn more about WCH’s Learning Institute and placements available for students/learners please visit our Academics Department website.
Help Us Train Our Future Physicians
Womenʼs College Hospital is committed to providing practical learning experiences for our medical students. We welcome you to become a patient partner in our Volunteer Patient Program to assist in the education of our future physicians.
The Volunteer Patient Program involves ambulatory patients in the training of medical students and helps develop medical studentsʼ interpersonal skills through encounters with patients in a non-clinical setting.
An Ideal Participant
- Has a means of transportation to and from Womenʼs College Hospital
- Is comfortable speaking in English
- Has at least one medical issue they are comfortable discussing with a student
- Is available Thursday or Friday mornings for two hours for a minimum of twice per year
What Can You Expect From the Experience?
- Full supervision by a licensed physician
- Our promise to keep your health information private and confidential
- A stipend to cover travel costs
- A no-obligation rule that allows you to opt out of the program at any time
- An opportunity to provide feedback at the end of the academic year as to how we can improve the program
*Please note that we will not provide you with healthcare recommendations
What Is Required from You?
- Two hours of your time (on Thursday or Friday mornings for a minimum of twice per year)
- Willingness to be involved in this unique medical training experience
- Having a discussion in English with one or more medical students about at least one medical issue
- Being comfortable while medical students review your medical history and perform a non-invasive physical examination under the supervision of a licensed physician
If you are interested in volunteering for the program or have any questions about participation, please contact: Jennifer Alexander, Education Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org