We are Women’s offers the WCH community a chance to get to know each other and share our stories.
Name: Kabir Singh Shergill
Title & Department: Communications Advisor, Strategic Communications
On the WCH team for: Under a month!
1. What does your typical workday look like?
Currently, my workday is a lot of onboarding, learning new processes, and hitting the ground running with communications and media relations work. The best part has been getting to know the team here at WCH – everyone is so aligned in their mission for health equity that it makes this an incredibly uplifting and rewarding place to work.
2. What excites you the most about working at WCH?
Starting a new job can be stressful – starting from scratch is both humbling and rewarding. What I have noticed so far is that every time I start to feel overwhelmed, I realize that the programs and initiatives I am working on are rooted in such important diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) causes. From Transition Related Surgeries to Black History and Futures Month and anti-Black racism commitments, my first three weeks have already shown me that what we do at WCH is vitally important.
3. How does your work contribute to creating a positive patient experience?
As a queer person of colour, it brings me so much joy to see WCH break down the barriers to healthcare for marginalized folks who might not have otherwise had access to care. Being able to promote and communicate these important initiatives is imperative to their success and impact within our communities. The specific needs that WCH works to fill in the Canadian medical space impassions me to take on this work to support communities that I know so desperately need care. Simply providing access, knowledge and tools to these communities is how communicators provide a positive patient experience.
4. Tell us one to three things that your colleagues would be surprised to learn about you!
- I have a degree in Musical Theatre from Sheridan Institute – if you hear me humming showtunes at my desk, now you know why!
- I have an undying passion for all things reality TV – Rupaul’s Drag Race and the Real Housewives franchises dominate my Instagram algorithm.
- I compete in a queer dodgeball league, though I wouldn’t say I am a star athlete.
I can’t wait to continue getting to know everyone here at WCH – if you see me in the halls, don’t be a stranger!