We are Women’s offers the WCH community a chance to get to know each other and share our stories. As WCH’s Corporate Equity Committee (CEC) prepares to transition new members, we are profiling current CEC members and their term on the committee.
Name: Sandra Smith
Title & Department: Vice President, People, Culture and Equity & CHRO
On the WCH team for: 5 years
1. What made you decide to join the Corporate Equity Committee (CEC)?
The CEC is one of the commitments we made as an organization in our anti-racism journey. I am fortunate to be the Executive Sponsor of the Committee and supported its inception.
2. What are you most proud of accomplishing on the CEC?
I think the CEC has evolved into a group of individuals who are passionate about equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI). It is an amazing opportunity to be part of the conversation.
3. What would you like to see from the CEC in the next two years?
This committee is going to be critical in our continued work supporting equity at the hospital. I see the CEC continuing to evolve and supporting the organization with the journey of our Equity Roadmap in 2023.
4. For someone who is considering applying to join the CEC, how would you describe the experience? What kinds of things can they expect to work on and do?
All voices share a different perspective which is amazing. We learn together – each meeting there is learning for the group.
The evolution of Employee Resource Groups would be one area of opportunity and supporting that work.
5. Tell us one to three things that your colleagues would be surprised to learn about you!
- I am a nurse and a human resources professional.
- I was born on a very small island off the coast of Newfoundland.