Safety tips when wearing a face mask
Using a face mask is an easy way we can all contribute to slowing the spread of COVID-19. Wearing a mask is mandatory in most public indoor spaces, here is a list of tips to help keep you safe when handling and wearing your face mask:
Putting on and taking off your face mask
- Follow these steps to safely put on your face mask:
- Wash your hands thoroughly or use hand sanitizer when putting on and removing your face mask. Practicing proper hand hygiene at these times is extremely important because your hands are in close proximity to your face.
- Always handle your mask by the ear loops when putting it on and taking it off.
- While wearing your mask, ensure it always covers your nose and mouth.
Other things to remember
- When putting on your face mask, ensure it is comfortable so that you won’t touch and fidget with it. If you need to touch your mask while it is on, be sure to wash or sanitize your hands before and after handling it.
- Don’t share your mask.
- Wash reusable masks regularly to keep them clean. Reusable face masks are beneficial to not only your wallet but also the environment!
- When you leave your home, always make sure you have a mask on hand and even consider carrying an extra one as a precaution.
- When removing your mask, store it in a clean bag such as a zip lock so that it doesn’t potentially contaminate your other items once put away.
It’s important to remember that while masks do provide some protection against viruses, they are not a substitute for physical distancing. We must all do our part and practice proper hand hygiene, wear and handle our masks safely, and continue to physically distance to help stop the spread of COVID-19.