Join us for Summer Student Research Day on Thursday, July 27 in the auditorium! After years of virtual presentations, this in-person event is back showcasing the incredible work of our summer students. From 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., catch brief four-minute highlights of their diverse research topics, including racial disparities in breast cancer, fertility care access and tools to support equity-focused patient engagement. There will be over 30 different presentations – come support our students and learn more about the impactful work happening at WCH!
9:15 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
- Cynthia Ji – Redefining DCIS: A Shift from Pre-Malignancy to Early-Stage Non-Invasive Breast Cancer
- Aghaghia Mokhber – The Association Between Circulating OPG & Bone Health in Women with a BRCA1 Mutation
- Simran Sandhu – Racial Disparities in Lobular Breast Cancer
- Ambereen-Rose Velji – Listening and Learning from Patients accessing the Rapid Access Addiction Medicine Clinic
- Joelle Li – Gender and potentially inappropriate medication prescribing in older adults: a scoping review
- Nishwara Tarannum – Staff Perspectives on Smoking Cessation Counselling in the Pre-admission Clinic: A pre-implementation needs assessment
- Michaela Pisani – Optimizing the Timing of the Surgical Safety Checklist “Sign-Out” to Account for Anesthetic Emergence
- Jordan (Jordie) Hausman – Access to Fertility Care for People Living with HIV and other Blood Borne Viral Infections
- Max Wilson – Consulting the Experts: Developing a Communication Tool for Women-Centered HIV Care
- Hannah Gray – Indigenous Evaluation
10:30 a.m. – 11:40 a.m.
- Youssef El-Sayes – Understanding the prevalence and treatment patterns of diabetes among Ontario nursing home residents
- Rachel Lu & Nikhila (Nikki) Butani – Improving the Utility of Cardiac Imaging Surveillance Following Breast Cancer Chemotherapy
- Mackenzie Dryburgh – Determining the Risk of Cardiovascular Disease of BTK Inhibitors for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Zoya Gomes – Evaluating the effect of ethnicity on dysglycemia and markers of type 2 diabetes risk in postpartum women with previous gestational diabetes mellitus
- Angel Gao – Sex-related differences in participation and trial outcomes in axial spondylarthritis randomized clinical trials: A systematic literature review and meta-analysis
- Jeannie Zhao – Cardio-Rheumatology Program: One Year Later
- Heather Zhao – International trends in topical actinic keratosis therapy utilization from 2011-2019.
- Inna Ushcatz – Investigating the association of atopic dermatitis disease burden and socio-demographic index with country-level topical calcineurin inhibitor utilization
- Gabrielle Gonsalves – Early Stages of Development of an E-Learning Curriculum on Supporting Trans and Gender Diverse (TGD) Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence (IPV)
- Mechaela Alfonso – Developing the New E-Learning Curriculum for Trans and Gender. Diverse (TGD) Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) Care
- Fareeha Quayyum – Healthcare providers’ knowledge of and capacity to respond to domestic sex trafficking: a qualitative study of Ontario healthcare providers
12:30 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.
- Salva Niwe – Engaging with Everyone Toolkit: Dissemination of Tools to Support Equity-Focused Patient Engagement
- Fawziyah Ibrahim – Advancing Prostate Cancer Equity: Empowering Black Men through Evidence-Based Tools
- Sumaya Mehelay – Smart Cities Urban Digital Health Equity Project
- Isabel Munoz Beaulieu – Building Bridges: Exploring What Community Engagement Means at WIHV
- Isabelle Choon-Kon-Yune – Compassion Without Borders: Re-imagining Virtual Care for Migrants and Refugees
- Dhara Chauhan – Reflections and Learnings on Patient Partnerships in Health Research- the CDHE/PAN Model
1:30 p.m. – 2:05 p.m.
- Fei Mu – Creation of a patient advisory board
- Annie Kang – Patient-reported Outcomes of Scar Impact: a Comparison of Chest Masculinization Technique
- Brennan Snow – The Gender Affirming Surgery Policy Landscape across Canada: A Timeline.
- Carrie Lau – DEPART: Discharge evaluation and prevention of relapse with technology
- Sonia Persaud – Implementing the Community Access to Resourced & Resilient Psychoeducation (CARE) Training Program
- Neha Kasoju – Exploring Vaginoplasty: The Guide for Youth