Volunteers are valued members of the Women’s College Hospital team. Our volunteers are integral to supporting the hospital in achieving its mission of advancing and advocating for health equity for all while developing solutions for our most pressing health system challenges.
Our team of approximately 200 volunteers contribute 25,000 hours of service annually to support the hospital’s commitment to providing exceptional care.
We offer engaging and meaningful volunteer opportunities in over 45 departments and programs throughout the hospital. Volunteers dedicate time, energy and skills to support staff and most importantly to enhance the experience of our patients.
What We Do
Volunteers are provided with meaningful assignments, a learning experience and appropriate participation. Volunteer placements fall into one of 5 general categories:
Information Desk and Wayfinding Volunteer
- Greet and welcome patients and visitors to Women’s College Hospital
- Provide information and answer general inquiries
- Provide additional directional support throughout the hospital
Clinic Office Help Volunteer
- Assist staff with a variety of administrative tasks such as faxing, photocopying and assembling resource packages
- Complete courtesy patient appointment reminder phone calls
Clinic Liaison Volunteer
- Assist with coordinating patient flow in specified clinics
- Direct patients to exam rooms
- Assist patients with general inquiries
Waiting Room Volunteer
- Act as a liaison between patients and their healthcare teams
- Assist family members and visitors with general inquiries
- Provide support and comfort measures to patients
- Volunteer Childcare Assistant in Stella’s Playroom
- Provide special project support for various departments or programs
Volunteer Placements are assigned based on volunteer interests, skills, availability and hospital needs.
Volunteering is a great way to explore a hospital setting. Each volunteer placement includes duties and responsibilities that are designed to provide a meaningful experience. Please be aware that the scope of the volunteer role does not include any tasks that can legally be performed only by a licensed or regulated healthcare professional. Volunteer roles will not allow you to practice or develop clinical or technical skills, nor are volunteer roles designed to meet the requirements of professional internship opportunities.
All volunteer shifts are available Monday to Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. We do not offer evening or weekend opportunities.
Our volunteer program requires reliable, dependable volunteers who can make a consistent weekly commitment. The minimum age requirement is 16 years of age or older. Volunteers under the age of 18 will be required to provide parental/guardian consent.
Please consider your availability and carefully review the commitment guidelines for each program described below.
Volunteer Resources welcomes volunteer applicants of all abilities to apply.
Year-Round Adult Program
Open to volunteers who can make a year-round commitment for a minimum of one shift per week
- Commit to a consistent 3.5 hour shift per week for a minimum of one year
- Shifts are typically 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. or 12:30 - 4:00 p.m.
Applications can be submitted at any time. There is no deadline to apply for the year-round program. However, there is limited recruitment from May to August in order to provide more shift opportunities for the summer youth volunteers.
Fall-Winter Post-Secondary Student Program
Open to Volunteers who can make an academic yeara commitment (September to April)
Women’s College Hospital offers volunteer positions to eligible post-secondary students during the Fall and Winter academic school year (September-April). Volunteer positions are available Monday through Friday during daytime hours (9:00am-4:00pm) in many departments and programs. All volunteer roles are designed to enhance the patient experience.
The Fall/Winter Volunteer Program offers a unique learning experience that is designed to introduce students to the healthcare field. Students will have the opportunity to explore a hospital setting through:
- Volunteer placements that align with your interests and skills
- Hospital wide education events
- Volunteer education and social events
- Commit to a consistent 3.5 shift per week from September 2019 to April 2020
- Shifts are typically 9:00 am-12:30 pm OR 12:30 pm-4:00 pm.
Application deadline: There is no deadline to apply to the Fall Winter program however placements will be awarded on a first come first serve basis.
Applications can be mailed, faxed to (416) 323-7741, scanned and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted in person to room 7409 of the hospital. Completed reference forms must be submitted with your application.
Summer Youth Volunteer Program
Women's College Hospital offers volunteer positions to eligible high-school and undergraduate post-secondary students during the summer months. Volunteer positions are available Monday through Friday during daytime hours (9:00am-4:00pm) in many departments and programs. All volunteer roles are designed to enhance the patient experience.
The Summer Youth Volunteer Program offers a unique learning experience and is designed to introduce students to the healthcare field. Explore a hospital setting and career options though:
- Multiple volunteer placements that align with your interests and skills
- Volunteer Lunch and Learn sessions with physicians, regulated healthcare professionals and hospital staff
- Hospital wide education events
Details for the 2020 Summer Youth Volunteer Program
Post-secondary Student requirements:
- Commit to a minimum of two 3.5 hour shifts per week for all of May, June, July and August. Shifts are typically 9:00am-12:30pm or 12:30-4:00pm
- Attending a post-secondary school in the next school year
- Successful applicants must be ready to start a volunteer placement by May 1st 2020
High-school Student requirements:
- Commit up to two full days (9:00am-4:00pm) per week for all of July and August
- Successful applicants must be ready to start a volunteer placement by July 2nd 2020
Application and Registration Process
- Attend a program information session
All interested applicants are asked to attend a Summer Youth Volunteer Program Information Session. Registration is not required. For out of town post-secondary students who are unable to attend, contact email@example.com
Dates are TBD
- Complete an application package
A complete application package includes the following:
- Application Form
- 2 Reference Forms (References must know the applicant in a professional capacity and cannot be family members or friends. Examples include employers, volunteer coordinators, supervisors, coaches, or teachers. Referees should return the reference forms to the applicant for submission.)
- Medical Form
- 200-250 word essay describing why you want to be a volunteer at Women’s College Hospital
Note: Please submit all documents in a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are offered a placement, you will then be required to:
- attend a program orientation session
- pay a refundable $30.00 deposit for a security badge
Ready to Apply?
Application Deadline for Post-secondary Students: Friday March 1, 2020.
Application Deadline for High-school Students: Friday April 1, 2020.
- Year-Round Adult Program
Criminal Records Check
Volunteers who are 18 years and older are required to complete a Criminal Records Check. This is at no expense to the volunteer and is conducted through the hospital. Information and further details are provided to volunteers after notice of acceptance to the program. Offers are conditional upon the successful completion of a Canadian Criminal Records Check.
Volunteers will be required to complete WCH eLearning modules and a Volunteer Resources quiz OR Attend an in-person session
Volunteers are required to provide a refundable $30.00 deposit for a volunteer uniform and ID Badge. Both items must be worn during volunteer shifts.
Volunteers are assigned a placement based on their interests, skills, availability and hospital needs. Once a placement has been assigned, volunteers will receive training by a staff member or experienced volunteer. Volunteers are encouraged to pursue on-going learning opportunities by attending additional hospital-wide education sessions posted in the Volunteer Resources lounge
Please note, all steps must be completed prior to starting a volunteer placement
Submit an application form, two reference forms, a WCH Volunteer medical form, and parent/guardian consent form. Online application froms can be submitted right away with the link below. References must know the applicant in a professional capacity and cannot be family members or friends. Examples include employers, volunteer coordinators, supervisors, coaches, or teachers. Referees should return the reference forms to the applicant for submission.
Completed reference form, and medical consent forms can e-mailed to email@example.com mailed, faxed or submitted in person to room 7409 of the Hospital by the time of the interview.
Please download, complete and submit the forms below to apply to the Women's College Hospital Volunteer Program.
Note about fillable forms: To view and use fillable forms, you will need the latest version of Adobe Reader installed. Once completed, you can save and email the form or print the form for submission. The Adobe Reader software can be obtained free from Adobe, which also offers customer support.
Online application form
Parental/Guardian Consent Form
Download parental/guardian consent form (.docx)
Download reference form (.pdf) - (please note that two forms must be downloaded and filled out)
Volunteer Medical form (.pdf)