Your safety is important to us.
Women’s College Hospital is committed to providing patients with the safest care possible. As a patient, you are the centre of your healthcare team. We want to partner with you and your families to help keep you safe while in the hospital and at home.
Here are 5 tips to help you:
- Tell us your name, birth date and address when we ask. This may happen more than once during an appointment.
- Write down your questions before your appointment and bring them with you.
- Ask questions about your care and tell us about any concerns.
- Bring someone with you to appointments to help you understand the information.
- Tell us about your past illnesses, hospital visits, medical appointments and how you are feeling.
- Let us know if you have any special needs or use special equipment.
- Share whether you have any allergies or have had reactions to medications or foods before.
- Bring all of your medicines with you, including over-the-counter and herbal medicines, vitamins, and supplements.
- Let us know if you are not taking any medicines as recommended.
- Ask us any questions about your medicines.
- Clean your hands often with hand sanitizer in and outside of the hospital.
Call the hospital before your appointment if you have any signs of sickness such as a cough or fever.
- Do not bring anyone with you if they are ill or have any signs of sickness.
- Ask what care you need at home, if special equipment is needed, and what to watch for.
- Ask what has changed with your medicines, how to take them and for how long.
- Ask if another appointment is needed and how to and out the date and time.
- Find out who to call if you have a question or worries.
- Request written instructions or write it down, if needed.
In the event of an emergency, Women’s College Hospital has a fire response plan that incorporates fire plan principles, training and monthly drills. When you hear a fire alarm, we will inform you if any action is necessary.
The Infection Prevention and Control program works with staff, physicians and volunteers to help prevent the spread of germs and ensure safety for all patients and visitors.
To help control the spread of infections, hand sanitizer dispensers are available near all elevators and in all the clinics. If you have experienced any cough or flu-like symptoms in the past 24 hours, please ask front desk staff for a mask.
Women’s College Hospital is a smoke-free environment. The use of smoked or vaped tobacco and cannabis products is prohibited in all areas of the hospital, including the exterior grounds. This policy applies to staff, volunteers, students, visitors and patients who are within the boundaries of Women’s College Hospital.
Women’s College Hospital is in compliance with provincial and federal legislation for our healthcare facility, including: Smoke-Free Act of Ontario, Federal Tobacco Act, Ontario Cannabis Act, Federal Cannabis Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act and Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Women’s College Hospital is committed to providing a safe, healthy, secure and respectful environment for our staff, clinicians, patients and visitors. Any form of abuse is unacceptable, including verbal abuse and use of threatening language, action or attempted action that causes or could cause injury, and physical or sexual assault.
Please wear fragrance-free products and avoid using perfumes and colognes when visiting the hospital as some of our patients, visitors and staff feel sick when exposed to fragrances.
In order to respect and protect the privacy and confidentiality of our patients, visitors, staff and volunteers, Women’s College Hospital does not permit voice recordings, photography or filming on hospital property without the approval of the Strategic Communications department and written consent from anyone who would be included in the recording, photos or video. This includes the use of personal devices, such as cell phones, for photography/videography/recording.