We are Women’s offers the WCH community a chance to get to know each other and share our stories. As WCH’s Corporate Equity Committee (CEC) prepares to transition new members, we are profiling current CEC members and their term on the committee.
Name: Jen Alexander
Title & Department: Medical Education Department
On the WCH team for: I have been at the organization for over 16 years
1. What made you decide to join the Corporate Equity Committee (CEC)?
I am passionate about equity and diversity, and it is part of my core beliefs that they are integral components to any organization. It is essential to recognize multiple voices and perspectives to make any environment a more inclusive space for all groups.
2. What are you most proud of accomplishing on the CEC?
Recognizing, celebrating, and accepting the different cultures and beliefs in the organization.
3. What would you like to see from the CEC in the next two years?
Equitable hiring practices, inclusivity, and representation of groups who continue to be underrepresented at all levels of the organization and in the healthcare system.
4. For someone who is considering applying to join the CEC, how would you describe the experience? What kinds of things can they expect to work on and do?
Being a member of the CEC has provided a great learning experience into oppressive practices and policies that still exist. Additionally, by having multiple groups and perspectives on this committee, it gives insight into understanding the intricacies and intersectionalities of oppression that numerous groups face within organizations and society as a whole.
5. Tell us one to three things that your colleagues would be surprised to learn about you!
A few things my colleagues would be surprised to learn about me is that I love everything about music. I play the saxophone, enjoy dancing, and I DJ for social events in my spare time.