Starting July 1, 2023, EVS will begin its new Office Cleaning and Waste Reduction Program as part of our ongoing efforts to reduce waste at WCH.
New Green Bins
In response to feedback from #TeamWCH, new multi-sort bins and green bins have been placed in all kitchenettes and eating areas. Posters are also available to help ensure waste goes into the right bin. By properly sorting your waste into organics, recycling and landfill streams, you can help combat climate change while you work!
Did you know that putting food scraps in the Green Bin means they can be used to create renewable natural gas that Toronto can use to help power its vehicles and heat its buildings? When you toss food scraps in the garbage, they go to landfill and create harmful greenhouse gases.
Office Cleaning Program – Garbage Bin Removal from Offices & Meeting Rooms
Starting in July, EVS will shift to cleaning offices once weekly with a focus on high-touch point areas, including floors, carpets and cleared surfaces. To make sure that waste doesn’t accumulate, garbage bins will be removed from offices, team rooms and meeting rooms – instead, multi-sort bins and green bins will be available in hallways and kitchenettes for office waste and recycling.
We all play an important role in keeping our areas clean and comfortable – this includes keeping our computers, keyboards, phones and desks clean, as well as with proper disposal of office waste and recycling in hallway or kitchenette bins.
Tips for Keeping WCH Clean and Green
Keeping WCH clean and green is a team effort. Here are some ways everyone can help:
- Bring a reusable bottle and/or mug for water, coffee, tea, juice, or other drinks (most washrooms and kitchenettes have water filter stations)
- Bring your lunch in reusable containers
- Familiarize yourself with proper waste streams – dispose of garbage, recycling and food waste in the proper bins
- Don’t hoard – submit requests to EVS to discard of large items
- Reuse office furniture in various spaces – furniture move requests are completed a few times a month and costs are shared between departments requesting the move