Reviewing or Obtaining a copy of your Health Record
Confidentiality of patient information is very important at Women’s College Hospital. Information is only released as authorized by the patient, legal representative or as required by law. Under Ontario’s Personal Health Information Protection Act, you have a right of access to your own personal health information.
Your request to obtain a copy of your health record will be processed within 30 days. The Health Information Department is unable to interpret or advise on personal health issues or care documented in the records. We recommend that your health records be reviewed in conjunction with your health care provider, so that interpretation may be provided if necessary.
How do I request a copy of my health record?
- Requests for a copy of your Women’s College Hospital health record can be made by completing the Health Information Department Accessing Personal Health form (.pdf).
- Requests to disclose a copy of your health record to a 3rd party or another health care provider can be made by completing the Consent to Disclose Personal Health Information form (.pdf).
- Please note that there is no charge to send a copy to your health care provider, but if you would like a copy of the records for personal use you will be charged a production fee.
- Processing and copy charges are set out in the Fee Schedule (.pdf). If applicable, please ensure that the appropriate processing fee accompanies the request.
- Walk-in services are available to provide face-to-face customer service for clients who arrive on-site during our business hours of 8 a.m to 4 p.m Monday to Friday.
How do I make a correction to my health record?
If you believe that your health record contains inaccurate information or is incomplete, it is your right, under the Ontario’s Health Privacy law – The Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) to request corrections to your health record.
In order to make a correction to your record, please fill out the Health Information Department Request for Correction To Your Personal Health Information (.pdf) form, clearly outlining what you are requesting to have corrected.
Release of Information, Health Information Department
Women’s College Hospital
76 Grenville Street, Room P1-210
Toronto Ontario M5S 1B2
Please leave a message when calling the Release of Information office. The office receives a high volume of calls and returns them as soon as possible, usually within 24 to 48 business hours.
- Delivered to the Department of Health Information (Level P1-208)
- Mailed to Women’s College Hospital, to the attention of the Health Information Department at the mailing address shown below.
- Faxed to the Department of Health Information at 416-323-7315.
- A cheque written to the attention of Women’s College Hospital.
- Cash or credit card